It’s Thankful Thursday…and first, let me say thanks to Julia at Black Tag Diaries for hosting the link-up!
It was kind of a strange Thursday today…I had to take the day off work to go have an upper endoscopy done. If you’ve never had one, it’s really no big deal – sounds much worse than it really is. Basically, they send a little camera down your throat to check out your esophagus, stomach, and all that good stuff. This was a follow-up to one I had a while ago, so it wasn’t because I was feeling poorly or anything. It’s still a little nerve-wracking when they put you under, but at least you don’t remember any of it! My thankful things pretty much revolve around this strange day.
1) I’m thankful for my hubby – again! Seems to be a theme here… He took time to drop me off at the hospital this morning and pick me up afterwards, and even took me to Panera for lunch since I hadn’t been able to eat anything since the night before and I was HUNGRY! He didn’t even laugh at me when I ordered the kids’ grilled cheese sandwich with my soup. Okay, so he smirked and shook his head, but he didn’t tease me for it. He knows that grilled cheese is my go-to comfort food. He even promised to make me tea tonight if I promised to rest when I got home. I have done NOTHING all day, so I think I’ve held up my end of the bargain…
2) I’m thankful for my awesome GI doc. She is really nice, and takes the time to explain everything really carefully so that I understand it. I’m pretty good with medicalese (spent WAY too much time around doctors/nurses in my life), but I always like to make sure I have it right. She’s patient and just a really sweet person. I also think it’s pretty cool that her name is Rakhee – but it sounds like Rocky. Makes me think of the theme song from the movie every time. I know…dork.
3) I’m definitely thankful that nothing seemed too out of place. There was an improvement in one thing from last time, but she did have to take some biopsies this time around. She didn’t seem too concerned, so I’m assuming that means I shouldn’t be either.
4) I’m thankful for the other folks who took care of me today – the nurses were all really nice, and I liked the anesthesiologist a lot. One of the nurses and I had a conversation about the sedative they use – propofol. Yes, the stuff that killed Michael Jackson. She was telling me that this 80-something year old lady had a fit when they told her they were going to use propofol “…because that stuff is evil! It killed that young man…what was his name? Michael Jackson, right? I don’t want that stuff!!” Once they reassured her that it was okay because she was in the hospital and being monitored, she finally went through with it. When she woke up, she grabbed the nurse by the sleeve and said, “Thank you so much! That was the best sleep I’ve had in 20 years! No wonder he abused this stuff!”
5) I’m thankful for my awesome Zumba instructor, Eva. Tomorrow night is our Zumba master class breast cancer fundraiser. I have been looking forward to this event for what seems like forever – but probably more like a month or so. When I got my discharge papers from the doctor, they said no exercise for 3 days. 3 days?!?!?! That meant no master class! I even clarified with the doctor, and she said absolutely not – there is a risk of bleeding because of the biopsies. I was literally bargaining with her in the recovery room – half an hour? Two songs? No such luck. I sat there and fought back tears as I messaged Eva on Facebook that I wouldn’t be able to come. She convinced me that I could still go – at least be there. She said it wouldn’t be the same without me there! How cool was that? So – I will be going to master class, dressed in pink, cheering on my fellow Zumbaholics! Since I can’t “shake it like Polaroid picture” I’ll just have to take a bunch of pictures instead.
Since I’m still feeling a little spacey from the procedure, I’m going to call it a night. Look for a post tomorrow all about master class!!
What are you thankful for this Thursday??